Friday, July 19, 2013

Easy, fluffy healthy egg white & cheese muffins

So I wanted something healthy & hearty for breakfast, but also light. I saw a lot of recipes for egg white muffins with peppers, tomatoes, etc. BUT I hate vegetables in my eggs. Weird, I know. Eventually I came across this original recipe and decided to spin it to make it healthier and more my taste. I've never been a fan of whole eggs, so using only the white was an easy choice.

The result was a light, fluffy tasty egg muffin with zero guilt for eating. I only made one,
 but you could double or quadruple the recipe easily.


Nutritional Content (1 muffin):
Calories: 62
Fat: 3g
Sat. Fat: 1.8g
Cholesterol: 11.4mg
Carbs: 0.8g
Protein: 8g
Vitamin A: 3%, Calcium: 11.5%
















Ingredients: (makes only 1 muffin, double or quadruple for multiple muffins) 
1 egg white
1/6 cup of low-fat shredded cheese (I used Weight Watchers Mexican blend)
1/2 tsp parmesan cheese
pinch (about 1/8 tsp) of dried oregano and basil (or Italian seasoning blend)
pinch of garlic powder
small, small dash of cayenne pepper (optional -- I liked the added kick. Be careful with the amount.)
salt and pepper to taste




Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 and lightly spray a cupcake liner with non-stick spray (they stick either way, but it helps!)
2. Add together all ingredients in a bowl and mix together with a fork


3. Add mix to the muffin liner. 



4. Bake for 15- 20 mins until the top is a golden brown and the egg is cooked through. Mine took 15 mins. exactly for only 1 muffin. 

5. Let cool, then remove from the liner with a fork or butter knife. Mine was big and fluffy until I regretfully touched the top of it. I didn't get a picture of the muffin in it's fluffy form before I destroyed it with my need to touch the top. DON'T DO IT TO YOURSELF! If it's golden and fluffy after 15 mins, it's probably done. I'm still angry with myself for ruining its beauty. Here are the results after I mangled it. Still super delicious, though not as pretty! 


Here's a picture of the inside:




Yum!

-D. 




















No comments:

Post a Comment