Thursday, July 11, 2013

DIY Apron

I've been wanting a cute apron for a while. My cooking adventures usually end up in me ruining a t-shirt or two. Every apron I found was $20-$40. I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for something that was inevitably going to be covered in food and sauces. One day browsing Pintrest I found a tutorial for DIY tote bags and a light bulb went off! You can see the bag tutorial here: http://www.collectandcarry.com/2012/04/diy-geometric-painted-tote-bags.html

The finished apron. Total cost $5:


Supplies:
3 pack canvas aprons ($10 at Walmart. Found in the craft aisle)
Acrylic paint
Paint brushes
Painters tape




Instructions:
1. Lay your apron out on the floor (I put a towel down, but I think a dollar store table cloth would work better)
2. Use your painters tape to make the design. I chose asymmetrical blocks, but you could easily adapt for stripes, chevron, etc.


3. Paint the blocks different colors. Be sure the paint doesn't get underneath the painters tape. Having a towel underneath made the tape not stick as well, which is why I would suggest a thin plastic table cloth. 




4. Let dry completely. Remove the painters tape. Voila!




-D.





No comments:

Post a Comment