Thursday, December 27, 2012

Macaroni and Cheese Egg Rolls

Post-holidays usually leaves you with an assortment of leftovers. Due to a stomach bug, the only leftovers I had were egg roll wrappers and crock-pot mac and cheese I had made but couldn't eat. After no eating, I was pretty hungry but wanted something more filling than just mac n cheese alone (granted, I had eaten it alone for lunch.) So I thought to put the two together to get a kind of mac n cheese bite.
DELICIOUS. Hands down, the most delicious invention I've tried yet. It's simple, fast and yummy.
Ingredients:
-leftover macaroni and cheese (I used my crock-pot mac, but I think Stouffers would work just as well. You can make a box brand, but I can't guarantee the results)
-shredded sharp, mild or Monterrey Jack blend cheese
-egg roll wrappers
-cooking spray
-salt and pepper to taste
Directions:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Thoroughly cover a cookie sheet with cooking spray.
On a clean, flat surface layout an egg roll wrapper in a diamond shape. Add macaroni and cheese evenly the middle, making sure to leave about 1 1/2 inches free at each end to roll them (follow directions on wrappers). Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and shredded cheese (you can also put down some cheese before the mac n cheese to make it extra cheesy).
Roll the egg roll up like a burrito, folding the bottom half up around the filling in the middle first. Then fold the left and right sides in to cover the filling. Moisten the top flap's edges with water and roll the wrapper up fully, making sure the filling is completely sealed inside. In case you're a visual learner, here's a diagram:

Spray the egg rolls well with cooking spray and bake for 12-16 minutes until edges are golden to dark brown and wrappers are fully cooked.
Here's how mine turned out:




(There are also parmesan chicken and pesto chicken & spinach egg rolls in this batch) Leftover challenge complete!









No comments:

Post a Comment